Here are a few ways employers can do to celebrate diversity, make their workplaces more inclusive during the holidays, and increase employee participation at work:
– Make sure your Holiday party isn’t a Christmas party in disguise. Decorations and food should be general, and non-specific to any religion.
– Consider having a New Year’s Party instead of a Holiday party. This type of party can get everyone on board with the company’s mission and vision for the New Year.
– Post holiday greetings on your webpage and intranet for many religious holidays.
– Be respectful of these special dates, and plan events and meetings around various holidays.
– Display a multi-cultural calendar to help all employees stay aware of important cultural events for the rest of the year.
– Be flexible with the needs of different employees.
– Encourage employees to share their celebrations through stories, decorations, and foods that they can bring to their workplace.
Note to readers: This is for the workplace. Enjoy Christmas, or any holiday you observe at home. Invite others, educate other people about your holiday, make them feel included and have a great time.